[Amps] Amp design article?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Amp design article?
From: Catherine James <catherine.james@att.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 19:43:48 +0000 (UTC)

Doug wrote:
> I have 32 BJTs in my push-pull parallel design. Once a single 220 Watt module
> was designed
> with lots of negative feedback, and its own self-contained switching power
> supply, it was easy to
> splitter/combiner my way to full power. The advantage of such design is that
> I simply don't
> supply mains voltage to one or more modules, and I have instant lower
> power... I have a fan on
> each module, but they are thermally controlled in a PID loop.  At 2 kW into a
> dummy load, I
> can just hear them spinning.

You guys should publish a construction article(s) in QST and other nations'
equivalent magazines. A lot of us would love to build such an amp, but we're
not competent to design it.  Being able to work with off-the-shelf,
widely-available BJT or FET components in current production, and off-the-shelf
heat sinks that don't require custom machining, should bring the cost and
skills required down significantly.

73,
Cathy
N5WVR