[Amps] 144 MHz GS35B input circuit

To: 'Amps' <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 144 MHz GS35B input circuit
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 17:49:51 -0400
Just looking for a reality check here. I am trying to get an amp running. It was not built by me and had apparently been sitting for quite a while.

Everything seemed to be working but the input SWR wouldn't tune below 4:1 with about 25W drive. I understand it will change some at full power but I don't think this circuit is working as desired and am reluctant to put my SS driver PA into it.

I pulled the bottom cover to look at the input circuit. It's the usual T with two coils (not the usual dimensions) and shunt capacitor between them. BUT, it is connected to the bottom connection of the tube. I think that is the filament connection that is NOT common to the cathode. There is NOT a capacitor across the two filament/cathode connections. All of the circuits I could find online this afternoon show the RF input to the next ring up on the tube (filament/cathode common). Some show a capacitor across the filament connections, some don't. Comments?

I am inclined to rip this out and rebuild. The 10 AWG hard silver plated wire the coils are made from makes it impossible to spread or compress turns to experiment with the match.

Thanks,
Paul

--
Paul