Re: [Amps] HV MOSFETs for RF

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV MOSFETs for RF
From: "Kevin Stover, AC0H" <kstover@ac0h.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 19:01:40 -0500
All,

IMHO the problem with today's 100W radios is that they are designed for 12V finals. Comparing a "modern" solid state radio designed to run on 12V finals to a Collins 32S-3 is borderline ridiculous. There is a price to be paid for "no tune" and using 12V finals makes it worse.

If I was designing a final section for one of these rigs it would be a pair of 50V MRF-150's derated to 150W max out. They're plentyful, comparatively cheap, probably close to a matched pair of 6146B/W's for TS-520. Of course there are going to be people who are unhappy not being able to run the rig "all knobs to the right", to the max of a pair of MRF-150's...300W, but too bad. Buy someone else's rig.

I'd bet a final section built and run like that would hit -40 IMD running full tilt boogey. Add a little pre-distortion and we'd hit -50dB.

The days of the 12V SSPA in rigs are numbered, or should be.

So... that leaves me with a rig that will do -45 to -50 IMD and an amp (AL-1500, Ameritron's number) that'll do -38. Hmmmm.

Let the anecdotes fly.