Re: [Amps] Real time tests to see if an RF transformer is saturating?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Real time tests to see if an RF transformer is saturating?
From: Alan Ibbetson <alan@g3xaq.net>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 13:59:51 +0100
Chris,

Buy Fair-rite toroids from mouser.co.uk (post free over, I think, £20 or maybe £25), or uk.rs-online.com who are always post free. Both add VAT to their catalogue prices.

The pros don't use designators like FT240-78. Those are numbers from the USA reseller Amidon. You have to search on www.fair-rite.com for the long string of digits (like 5978003801) and type that into the Mouser or RS search box. Finding the right part on Fair-rite is a pig. There are drop downs under Products on the home page but it's never easy.

If I was in your shoes I'd try type 78 and wind on as many turns in a 5:7 ratio as will fit. As Manfred says, several strands of thinner wire bundled together will be easier to wind and have a bit less copper loss.

Have fun. Almost no radio amateurs of any callsign series understand magnetics so you are becoming an expert in the hobby!

73, Alan