Re: [Amps] new amp race

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] new amp race
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2017 17:03:16 +0000
My own motivation to use legal limit power is man-made noise on the other end.

In the 1980's I worked lots of QRP. First just one watt in DSB, then I improved to 5W in DSB, then 5W in SSB, then 30W. In those years most hams could hear me just fine - with lower signal reports than 100W stations got, but still usually starting with "5".

Nowadays instead the typical noise level in cities has rosen to about S9 on 40 meters, and if I use QRP at the 5W level, almost no ham in any city hears me. My only contacts are with a few rural hams, who have as low a noise level as ever.

Since I moved to the forest, becoming as rural myself as one can get, I enjoy having no manmade noise at all at most times, with atmospheric noise setting my noise floor. But 97% of all hams live in cities! This creates an unbalanced situation, and even when using 100W like most people do here, most of the time I can copy all other stations fine, while most of them have trouble copying me, due to their local noise. That's why I'm much better off using high power - it gives city-dwelling hams at least some chance to hear me over their local noise.

And yes, the noise bothering city-dwelling hams is almost always mostly very local, generated in their own homes and in those of the nearest neighbors. Noise sources more than 100m away or so are very rarely involved. But it's still an almost unsolvable problem. In most cases it cannot be attacked at the source, because a ham can hardly expect all of his closest neighbors to stop using all of their LED lights, CFLs, computers, cellphone chargers, flat panel TVs, local area networks, and on and on. And all these devices contribute noise! And some of them generate an incredible amount of noise.

At my station I'm nearly manmade-noise-free, because my nearest neighbors live more than one kilometer away, there is no power grid here, and I cleansed my own home from all noisy devices, either by picking quiet replacements or by adding filters and shielding. But I can tell you, it wasn't easy! The average ham won't do it even in his own home, let alone in all of his neighbor's homes...

So it looks like the manmade noise level will keep rising, as electronic devices made without sufficient regard for EMC keep proliferating. I see a dim future for ham radio, at least on HF, in that context. Upgrading to legal limit power, perhaps even raising the legal limit, and setting up the best antennas, can only buy us some time.

In cities the best technique is to "escape up", using the tallest towers possible, and antennas that extend from the tower tip horizontally or upwards, rather than down from it. This is to place the antenna as far outside the thickest part of the electrosmog cloud, which is densest in homes, around them, and around cabling for power, TV, internet, etc. But of course, precisely these much-required tall towers are ever more restricted by laws!

So I think that ham HF operation will ever more become a privilege of the few of us who live in rural places. I could cite a long list of formerly very active hams who have gone QRT, simply because at their city homes they can no longer find a way to hear any other hams.

Manfred