Re: [Amps] new amp race

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] new amp race
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2017 18:55:12 -0700
On Sun,5/21/2017 6:00 PM, Bill Turner wrote:
Antennas can be too high, believe it or not. Talking about DX, not
groundwave.

I've studied that extensively, and even wrote a tutorial applications note on what I learned. It's pretty near impossible for most of us to rig an antenna too high for bands below 30M -- a quarter-wave is low, a half-wave is just starting to get good, and 3/4 wave is not too high for anything but NVIS. My 40M dipoles at 120-140 ft play REALLY well. That's about 1 wavelength high. My 30M dipoles are at 100 ft (also about one wavelength). BTW -- contrary to widely held myth, 0.22 wavelength high is optimum for NVIS, and 0.33 wavelength is only 1 dB down from optimum.

The tutorial app note is http://k9yc.com/AntennaPlanning.pdf

73, Jim K9YC