Re: [Amps] Novice heater choke question

To: amps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Amps] Novice heater choke question
From: Larry <larry@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 09:38:16 -0700

As the FCC proposal for this band includes a restriction to 5 watts EIRP ... do you think an amp there is within the rules?

It would really be nice if the guys crabbing about rules violations actually knew what the rules were!

The FCC limits power on the 137 kHz band to 1 watt (that is a "ONE") EIRP. I believe that is an international rule as well.

In point of fact, since the typical antenna system on 137 kHz has a gain of -25 to-40 dBi (note the minus sign!!!), a 1 KW out amplifier is quite reasonable!

BTW, here in the USA, those of us with experimental licenses can run as much power we ask for on the grant application! At the moment, even though the 137 and 475 kHz bands have been allocated for Amatuer use, we do NOT have permission to use them yet! Of course those of us who have an experimental grant are actively using those bands right now and have been for quite some time.

73,

Larry - W7IUV / WH2XGP