Re: [Amps] Last question on SWR

To: amps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Amps] Last question on SWR
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 17:16:59 +0000
Bill,

This has been a great discussion. Let's see if I learned anything.

Here's the setup. Remember, everything is lossless and the antenna has
10% reflected power.

amplifier>>>SWR meter 1>>>tuner>>>SWR meter #2>>>antenna

The amp and turner are adjusted so SWR meter #1 shows 1000 watts
forward and zero reflected.
The question is:  What does SWR meter #2 show?

I think it would show 1100 watts forward and 100 reflected..

Correct?

Almost correct. But not exactly. By the logic of forward and reflected powers, the reflected power is a percentage of forward power, not of real power. And 100 is only 9.09% of 1100.

So, with 1000W indicated on the first meter, and the antenna "reflecting" 10% of the "forward" power, the second meter should read 1111W forward and 111W reflected power.

Or back to school?

Probably not! Relax! :-)

Manfred