[Amps] RF-KIT SS AMP

To: <amps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amps] RF-KIT SS AMP
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 10:01:36 -0700
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2017 18:48:55 +0000
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Amps group <amps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amps] RF-KIT SS AMP

<It looks pretty good on paper but the real world sometimes has
<unpleasant surprises in store. I wouldn't buy one until it gets
<reviewed by an independent third party such as QST. It's real easy to
<lay out $3k and before long wish you hadn't.

<A word to the wise.

<73, Bill W6WRT

##  agreed,  qst..or at least a handful of experienced  tech savvy types,  who
can
make meaningful  measurements..including imd, etc,  and offer a critque.

##  I also noticed they reduce power output by reducing the current limit on
the power
supply.... vs  reducing drive.  This method, I have not heard of before.   One
would think it
would flat top 1st..once it hit the current limit threshold ?   But I have zero
experience with it.

##  I have zero experience  with SS amps.  My concern is the TX  IMD products.
Reducing
drive and PO is one method that would work..but eff  goes to hell..fast.  Diss
then increases  with just
the typ 35% when po reduced.... while maintaining 48-50 vdc.

##  another method  to reduce IMD  may be to just increase the idle current  a
bunch.
I have no experience with that either..except on tube amps.   But I suspect the
eff might creep  up
a little, and perhaps slightly reduced  IMD.  Then again, the increased idle
current would result in
a higher average dissipation.

##  A combo of reduced drive, and higher idle current might be the ticket,  but
Im just speculating.
The faster 120mm fans could be used to handle the increased  idle current.  Its
not like the SS amp
has to reside on the desk, it could sit anywhere...like in  my shop next door.
Noise problem solved.

Jim   VE7RF