Re: [Amps] 1993 Vintage 3-500z

To: "Chris Hays" <chris@chrishays.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 1993 Vintage 3-500z
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.qozzy.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 13:17:22 -0400
That process will do nothing for the 3-500 family.

Since the ongoing gettering process requires anodes to be run at color at least 3-4 times a year from new and a lot more when they have sat for years an entirely different process is needed. Running filaments only does nothing but waste 75W per tube. Indirect heated cathode tubes respond well to filaments only.

In older amps such as the SB-220, Drake L4B, aHunter 2000C, and others with the pre 1500W OUTPUT FCC rule compliance CW/SSB switch it is often possible to run them at color at the lower HV position which is just above the threshold of creating an internal plasma arc. Running as an AM linear, out of tune on 80/160, shorting the bias diode when used, can all create that nice red/orange glow.

If the tube arcs at that voltage then a method to bring the HV below 1200V and positive biasing the tube MAY work but it will also likely take lots of hours. Just as a test Ive had a few take up to 2 days in the basement during winter so the electricity use wast wasted.

A regettered tube will require less time before it needs it again if it was a real dog to start with. I use a pair in a 60's Hunter 2000C regularly as an AM linear in the SSB position so they get a bright orange and that has kept them happy for about 3 years sofar. My bought new in 1986 LK-500ZC wih the original Eimacs has been beat on hard in contests, pileups and on AM and hasnt burped yet.and will still do an easy 1200W.

The only ceramic-metal tube Im aware of that had actual seal leakage is the 4CX300A and that caused the USAF and others a lot of grief and money.

Carl

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Hays" <chris@chrishays.com>