Re: [Amps] 3CX800 stray C to chassis?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3CX800 stray C to chassis?
From: Conrad PA5Y <g0ruz@g0ruz.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 22:38:33 +0200
Thanks Steve that is very useful.

Regards

Conrad

On 22/08/2017 21:48, Steve Thompson wrote:
Some years ago I measured some valves, including 3CX800. I don't think I have kept the results but the general result was that the C was about twice the data sheet value, and wasn't changed by the mechanical setup unless the metalwork was really close - much closer than you would want when looking at a layout.

Steve

As I do not (yet) own a decent LCR meter does anyone have a decent ball park figure for the stray C to chassis for a 3CX800A7? The side walls are 1.25 inches away from the tube and the lid is 2.5 inches above.

Also thanks for all the help with my previous questions. I should mention that this is a retrofit to an existing 2m amp and C1 is 6pF maximum and I would like to use this part if at all possible.

I have a design that works on paper for strays C of 4pF with a Q of 8 using an L-Pi-L configuration as recommended by a few of you. The 4pF stray value does not seem unreasonable but it is a guess. I am sure that someone must have measured this.

Regards

Conrad PA5Y