[Amps] SB200 on 30 M - CANADA

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] SB200 on 30 M - CANADA
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2017 20:10:58 -0700
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2017 16:19:24 -0700
From: jerome schatten <romers@shaw.ca>
To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB200 on 30 M  - CANADA

<Herewith from the frozen north are the rules:

<Abstract from Industry Canada website:
http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf01226.html#p10.2

The holder of an Amateur Radio Operator Certificate with ADVANCED Qualification
is limited to a maximum transmitting power of:

(a) where expressed as direct-current input power, 1,000 W to the anode or
collector circuit of the transmitter stage that supplies radio frequency energy
to the antenna; OR
(b) WHERE EXPRESSED AS  RADIO FREQUENCY OUTPUT POWER....MEASURED ACROSS  ACROSS
AN IMPEDANCE – MATCHED LOAD.
(i) 2,250 W peak envelope power for transmitters that produce any type of
SINGLE SIDEBAND EMISSION , OR
(ii) 750 W CARRIER POWER  for transmitters that produce ANY OTHER  TYPE OF
EMISSION.

------------------------------------

Thanks to all that responded to my initial enquiry re the SB200 ? Vic 4X4GP had
the fix I was looking for: Move the 20m tap down towards the 40m tap ?
everything remains the same on 80/40 and easily restored to original -
Brilliant!

Best,
jerome - VA7VV/VE7ASS
Vancouver

###  Legal limit here in Canada  on 30M  band is 750 watts,  measured  at the
feedpoint of the ant....end of story.    ACROSS  AN IMPEDANCE MATCHED  LOAD
means  ‘at the ant feedpoint...after feed line and any connector loss’.
Z matched load means   Forward power minus reverse power =  750 watts.   In
Canada,we are only allowed a max of  1 khz of BW  on 30M band...so no SSB.   SO
only 750 watts allowed...measured at the feedpoint of the ant.   Gain of ant is
a moot point.   Legal limit here in Canada on CW / FM / DATA is  750 watts...on
any ham band.   CXR power on AM  is also 750 watts, with no limit on pep
output..and that too is measured at the ant.   SSB is  2250 watts pep
out....and again measured  at the ant.

##  Since Jerome only wants the amp to work on 80-40-30m,  I was going to
suggest he simply move the 20m tap towards the 40m portion, but Vic beat me to
it.   His  SB-200, once tweaked correctly, should easily be able to put out
600w on CW, measured at the amp itself.   But I believe jerome wants to operate
some data modes on 30M band.... which the SB-200  was never designed for.
Maybe  300-500 watts max, depending on duty cycle.

##  And yes, you can buy  AR-15s  and also bump stocks here in canda, along
with hollow point and soft nose bullets.

Jim   VE7RF