Re: [Amps] Glitch resistor + fuse?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Glitch resistor + fuse?
From: Jim Garland <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 10:09:29 -0700
Nearly all commercial amplifiers have glitch resistors in the HV line, typically about 50 ohms. A 10W resistor is fine, and a larger wattage one is fine also, but the larger power rating is unnecessary. The glitch fuse is to limit the current pulse in the event of a short in the HV line, as might result from an internal tube arc. For example, a short to ground in a 2500V power supply will result in a peak current pulse of 50 Amps. Obviously an HV power supply can't supply that much current, but the charge stored in the filter capacitor bank can produce a brief pulse with that much current.The glitch resistor is not intended to blow, but to absorb the charge stored in the filter capacitors, thus minimizing damage to other amplifier components.

 A fuse in the HV line is also a good idea. As mentioned  in another comment, RL Drake provided a 2W low value (less than an ohm) composition resistor with the L4B and L7 amps, and these would explode like a shotgun shell if there was an HV Short.

Modern fuses designed for the job are a better alternative (and easier to find) than the Drake solution, but with a caveat. An ordinary 3AG-type fuse won't do the job. It will arc internally and won't interrupt the current flow. What I use are microwave oven fuses, rated at 5 kV. These look like ordinary 3AG fuses but are a bit longer.They cost about $2 each and come in various current ratings. Typically an 850mA rating is a normal choice for ham amplifiers, but if more current is desired, they can be paralleled. You can buy them from dozens of sources and in multiple quantities on Amazon or eBay. Here's a link to one supplier:

https://www.amazon.com/Glass-Tube-Fuse-0-85A-Microwave/dp/B00X74LUJ6/ref=pd_day0_469_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CSR8VA8Q86YGRD5DJX5W

73,
Jim W8ZR

-----Original Message----- From: Dick NY1E