[Amps] Glitch resistors

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Glitch resistors
From: "." <hurstjsj@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 16:08:01 -0800
Some wire wound resistors are MUCH better at handling the energy stored in
the cap bank + the energy delivered by the line before the line  breaker
trips. I've found that the 25 watt Ohmite Brown Devils hold up well where
other types have literally   exploded with a  glitch occurrence. I've used
my SB1000 for testing dozens  of 3-500's and have tripped the line breaker
a number of times (tube arc-over)  with no harm to the amp. I suspect that
the differences among resistor types have  to do with how well the wire is
encased to absorb the thermal shock. There are more modern high  energy
handling resistors that should work but I haven't tested them.
73, John, KU6X

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>