Re: [Amps] Defining CCS

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Defining CCS
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2018 13:58:35 +0000
I wonder why we are even discussing all this CCS versus ICAS stuff here. We are radio amateurs, right? Not broadcasters. I fail to see what's the sense of having a CCS amplifier for our ham use!

Let's see reality: Most hams only engage in occasional operation at less than 50% TX time, with TX no longer than a few minutes at a time, and mostly in reduced duty cycle modes such as SSB or telegraphy. That's extremely light duty, and hams doing only this can get away perfectly well with low cost amplifiers built for that sort of service.

Of course that's not good enough for every ham. So, what's really the most demanding use hams have for their amplifiers? What comes to mind is:

- RTTY operation, at 100% duty cycle during TX, and maybe a 70/30 ratio of TX/RX during CQ calling. That's far more severe use than SSB chatting, but still far from CCS. And RTTY doesn't require a LINEAR amplifier, so it would be very reasonable to switch an amplifier into non-linear class C operation for RTTY, or at least run it in saturated class AB (many hams do that!), to reduce loss and dissipation.

- RTTY contesting: It's the same as above, but typically over 48 hours. It's still not CCS.

- RTTY bulletin transmission: That can be 30 minutes of full power operation. It's still not CCS, because operation isn't 24/7, but starts coming close, in the sense that after 30 minutes at full power an amplifier probably has reached its thermal plateau. This kind of operation is NOT normal ham operation, though, but is what only a very few stations do, such as W1AW.

- The cat falling asleep on the key: That's an act of negligence, and a ham leaving his amplifier on when walking away for a long time deserves amplifier failure as fair punishment for creating sleeping-cat-QRM. Even so, a good amplifier should include thermal protection, and in that case it would shut down a while after the cat falls asleep, preventing damage. It still doesn't need to be CCS-rated.

The only ham application that I can think of, that comes close to CCS, is repeaters. Again not a normal ham station.

So, can anyone give a good reason why a CCS amplifier might be desirable in a ham station, other than for bragging? As far as I can see, an ICAS amplifier that allows enough duty cycle for the most demanding kind of operation done at that station is a better solution than a much more expensive, heavier, larger CCS amplifier that will never be used to its full capability.

The anecdote of Alpha using 60 WPM dits to make people believe their amplifier can run CCS is funny. Probably most hams visiting that booth bought the story... Like they buy the story told by certain videos on Youtube and manufacturer's websites demonstrating "undestructible" LDMOSFETs while driving them at 10% duty cycle. The cheating here is in telling people, or at least insinuating, that the actual duty cycle is 100%, when it isn't. But 60 WPM dits indeed is a reasonably good simulation of the kind of duty cycle an amp will see in a ham station during the most demanding types of operation, and the 10% duty cycle pulses uses by some LDMOSFET makers is also quite representative for many of their intended applications. So the cheating isn't in the way the demonstration is done, but in misrepresenting what the exact operation conditions are.

Manfred