[Amps] HF-2500M Control Board

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] HF-2500M Control Board
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 14:08:44 -0700
I am trying to troubleshoot a HF-2500M for a friend. After being abandoned by the previous owner for many years, my friend fired it up about 3 weeks ago. All was well until the big bang and flash. It was just sitting there, idling at the time. The bang/flash seemed to be coming from the control board.

Both of the fuses on the control board were blown. Nothing obvious, looking at the control board. Everything in the HV PS area (under the RF deck, of all places) looks fine. The control board schematic has me very confused. Does anyone understand the circuit around the TIP2955, and the relation to those fuses ? Anyone care to guess what the big bang was ?

Thanks and 73,
Steve, N2IC