[Amps] FW: Revival advice

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] FW: Revival advice
From: "Matt" <maflukey@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 14:27:36 -0500
Hi Jim,

Thank you and also K7FM for the advice.   Correct about no tuned input, the
desire to put the old girl back in service is to complement an FT102 that just
got restored by N4CL.   There’s no ALC on the Gonset either, so I’ll just have
to be cautious with the drive level.

There is another question that I have…  The later model GSB201s (with 572B
finals) included a provision for internal cutoff bias by adding a small
transformer to the circuit, and rearranging the 120VDC keying relay circuit
configuration to provide –?VDC voltage to the grids in series with the un-keyed
relay coil.  When the relay is externally grounded for keying, the –?VDC from
the keying circuit is removed, returning the grids to TX bias at ~-4.5VDC
rectified from the heater supply through a bleed resistor and filter cap.
The circuit diagram for the later model shows all the component values except
it does not identify the secondary voltage of the keying transformer.   If I
assume it is 1:1 isolation, it would provide ~-120VDC to the relay when keyed
via a ½ wave rectified series dropping resistor (exact same as original
design).   However, if my 1:1 assumption is correct, then the resulting cutoff
bias to the plates in standby would be something in the vicinity of -160VDC.
This is quite a bit more cutoff than the -100VDC external cutoff bias
specification listed in my original owner’s manual.   Does -160VDC cutoff bias
sound reasonable for an 811A?  I just don’t have enough experience to know.  I
would love to have internal cutoff bias capability for this amp as otherwise
it’s a real room heater.  Having internal control power for the keying relay
would also simplify my keying buffer, which currently requires an external line
voltage source.

Many thanks for any advice you can offer.

73

Matt

KM5VI