Re: [Amps] 130 V MOV placement ??

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 130 V MOV placement ??
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2018 12:20:00 -0700
Hi Jim,

WHERE are you placing MOVs?  The only GOOD place for them is at the service entrance, or in the panel where Neutral is bonded to Green. MOVs should NEVER be used on branch circuits distant from the panel.  When MOVs are at a distance from the panel, the strike current raises the voltage of the chassis by virtue of IR drop to the panel. When equipment "protected" by MOVs at different  locations, the strike will put each at a different potential by virtue of the resistance and inductance of the green wire at the two locations. When equipment at these different locations is interconnected, the potential difference between them will fry circuitry.  It is VERY common for computers connected via Ethernet to lose circuitry from a strike.

A good MOV at the service entrance will short strikes incoming on the AC line, but additional current can be induced on branch circuit wiring. To protect against this current frying interconnected equipment, SERIES MODE protectors are required. They absorb the strike in a very large inductor, then release it slowiy after the strike. This type of protector is mfd by SurgeX, Brick Wall, and another mfr whose name I've forgotten. SurgeX has been widely used in pro audio systems for nearly 20 years.

I'm using a Joslyn "whole house" MOV unit at my service entrance, and SurgeX boxes at branch circuits in the shack, my XYL's office computer, my entertainment center (TV, stereo), and for my XYL's computer-controlled sewing machines and looms. That may be overkill -- the only stuff that is interconnected or bonded to ground locally is in my shack and that entertainment center. The Joslyn is hanging across the line through breakers within a disconnect panel.

73, Jim K9YC