Re: [Amps] Acom 2000A to Flex 6600M hook up help

To: Amps Reflector <amps@contesting.com>, "Herbert Schoenbohm, KV4FZ" <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Acom 2000A to Flex 6600M hook up help
From: "Bob Wilson, N6TV" <n6tv@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2019 22:07:11 -0800
First, you must have the new ACOM RCU with a 15-pin CAT port, otherwise
automatic tracking and band change is not supported (except by RF sensing
when you transmit).

If you have the new ACOM RCU, first connect an FTDI USB-to-Serial adapter
such as this one <https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=768-1138-ND>
to one of the two USB type A ports on the Flex.  In SmartSDR Device Setup,
you set the mode to Kenwood, the Cable Type to CAT, the Source to TX Slice,
and the speed to 19200 baud, 8, N, 1, no flow control.

In the new ACOM 2000A RCU, CAT Settings menu, select KENWOOD NEW 19200 and
press SET/EXIT.

Next you must wire a DE-9F to DE-15M cable as follows:

DE-9F Pin 2 (RXD) to DE-15M Pin 4 (TX RS232)
DE-9F Pin 3 (TXD) to DE-15M Pin 1 (RX RS232)
DE-9F Pin 5 (GND) to DE-15M Pin 5 (GND)

The DE-9F connects to the FTDI USB-to-Serial adapter.  The DE-15M connects
to the ACOM 2000A RCU 15-pin CAT port.

You can also use three internal jumper wires inside an S-BOX-USB
<https://bit.ly/S-BOX> plus one standard 15-pin M/M 15-pin cable to do the
same conversion.  With that box, no homebrew D-SUB cables or external FTDI
USB-to-Serial device is required.  It can also support connecting other
radios to the ACOM, not just Flex.

73,
Bob, N6TV