Re: [Amps] TL-922A Fan replacement found

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] TL-922A Fan replacement found
From: Jim <jimw7ry@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2019 20:29:06 -0500
You have not mentioned the most important part...

Re-wiring the 120 volt cut off bias.  If a tube shorts, it takes out the filament transformer.

Study the schematic.

Thanks
73
Jim W7RY

On 4/29/2019 7:52 PM, Artek Manuals wrote:
OK after a bit of sleuthing and help from the A/C repair guy next door who has a meter that measured the airflow I found two probable exact replacements for the fan in the TL-922A... Which suggested that this was an ~53CFM fan that originally was spec'd at 100V/7W probably 1700RPM. Size: 120mm x 120mm x 38mm

The first from Mouser is a Sanyo Denki fan #109S006 a very quiet fan at 28dBa. Problem is that it is a non stocked item with a minimum order quantity 40pcs at $24.76 ( extended order price of $990 !) ... deal breaker for sure

With the spec sheet for the Sanyo in hand I could now look for other equivalents ! . I found the following on Amazon. "AC Infinity LS1238",  62 CFM @32dba  120V/8W (probably 7W at 100V). $14.99 free overnight delivery ...Bingo

Easy replacement. The new fan though rated at 62CFM measured closer to 55CFM installed in the amp. The old fan would raise the noise level at the operating position when switched on by approximately 12dba as measured with two different phone apps. The new fan switched on raised the noise level by only 2db when switched on a big improvement over the old worn out one. Air exit temperature was identical to the old fan at around 30C at idle and 35C key down for 2 minutes.

So TL-922 owners  print this info out and store it with your manual

Tomorrow I will detail the rest of the TL-922A makeover, new tube sockets, new band switch, new tubes and a W8JI grid grounding party

Cheers
Dave
NR1DX