Re: [Amps] SB-220 HV Transformer Wanted ; thread stolen for bias questio

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 HV Transformer Wanted ; thread stolen for bias question
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 01:52:20 -0500
My opinion:
In the  "old days" we were expected to tune into a dummy load and match the antenna with a tuner using low power as we are today

The big Henry amps were usually run well beyond the legal limit, so tuning beyond a KW was no different than running 3 to 5 KW SSB, or CW. The difference in "those days" was the FCC enforced the rules so you generally needed to be much more careful when running your California KW. Of course with today's VNAs it's quite easy to get the SWR right down to 1:1 so tuning into a DL and then switching to the antenna requires no peaking. If everything is matched and the signal is clean, "GENERALLY" no one bothers you unless the signal is obnoxiously strong and creates problems.for others. I don't believe the FCC has the manpower now days to go after anyone except the really bad apples.  If you read the FCC actions, they typically are for hams who are causing malicious interference.  In those cases power may be mentioned..

The knowledge level on the bands is abysmal. It reminds me of when working as a GA for my masters. I was teaching the intro to Computer Science to 5 classes with a max of 40 per class. I had a total of 195 students.  This was for non CS students. Mostly business majors. I had around 5 ot 10 who weren't going to make it.  I had another 5 or 10 who were at, or above my level. IOW, for them it was a "blow off" class, but in general the knowledgeable level in there was abysmal too.

I spend a lot of time on FB, helping new hams.  With the new testing, they have no technical knowledge.  Virtually none! Typically the old timers are merciless and when they do try to help, the new hams knowing nothing get angry because they think they are being talked down to.

The gap in technical knowledge is tremendous so explaining to these new hams using the technical language is a lost cause and having taught to this level, I can understand why they feel snowed under and talked down to.and why there is so much animosity.

73, Roger (K8RI)