Re: [Amps] HIGH INPUT SWR PROBLEM

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HIGH INPUT SWR PROBLEM
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq72@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2019 09:21:12 +0000
I think the GI7 is indirectly heated with a cathode, like 8877. If there's no coupling cap between the cathode and filaments, it shouldn't need a big heavy duty filament choke like you need with 3-500Z and the like.

The input impedance of the tubes varies with drive level and operating voltage etc. and might not be near 50ohms. The input matching needs to be set up to suit that:

Copied from <https://ogrik2.ru/b/john-fielding/valve-amplifiers-explained/30339/10-the-grounded-grid-amplifier/11>

One example will serve to illustrate the problem of valve impedence swing. Some years ago I constructed a 6m linear using the Russian GI7-BT triodes and needed to establish the cathode impedance over the working drive range. This data wasn’t included in the data sheet so I had to determine it experimentally. A test amplifier was built and driven by a very good high power driving source made by Hewlett Packard and a dual directional coupler was used to sample the amplitude and phase of the input signal. From this I was able to measure the impedance as the drive was varied. At 1W drive the cathode exhibited an impedance of over 600Ω and the grid current was very low. At 5W the impedance was 150Ω and the grid current was 50% of the safe maximum according to the data sheet. At 10W the grid current had reached the maximum value, with an impedance of under 30Ω.

Steve G8GSQ

I have a commercial amp from Europe running a pair of GI7B tubes. The amp works well and loafs along at 500W output with no problems on any band, but it has a very high input SWR on all bands. Design of this amp is such that drive is fed into the filament choke via a BNC connector and cable from the input matching circuit so it was easy to check the input pi networks for each band. On all but 15M the input SWR indicated when tested this way was quite acceptable: 1.3-1.7 as tested with an MFJ analyzer. Similar results were obtained by attaching the input matching circuit BNC to a dummy load and feeding a small amount of power into the front of the input circuit. So, the problem does not appear to be in the input circuitry.

The first thing I discovered when I opened up the sub-chassis was that the coupling input capacitor appeared to be too low in value: only 1 nf compared to many designs for a pair of these tubes which I have seen using 10 nf. Second, there were no filament by-pass caps installed and no cap across the filaments. Therefore, as an experiment I installed by-passing using common values and changed the input cap to 10 nf. These changes produced no lowering of the input SWR but did increase the plate current drawn for a particular level of drive, probably due to much higher drive.

This amp design uses a large fan beneath the tubes which does not leave very much room for a rod-type filament choke inside the enclosure. The choke is wound with 19 bifiliar turns of what looks to be #16 wire on a toroid, 1.75" in diameter by 3/8 inch thick. No information is available on the core.

My questions is this: if this filament choke is undersized, could this be causing the high input SWR? If not, does anyone have other ideas about the problem?

Bill, VE3NH