[Amps] Caps,snubber, mov across diodes ?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Caps,snubber, mov across diodes ?
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 23:42:54 -0700
Whats the consensus on wiring a .01uf cap, or an  RC snubber, or a MOV,  across
each diode  in a FWB, FWD,  FWCT..in a B+ supply?

I see that some will wire one cap  across each entire leg.    Some will use
fast, and ultra fast recovery diodes   in  60 hz  supplies....with or  without
a cap, snubber, mov  across  each diode.

Ameritron uses a .01uf cap across  each diode.   I read about the use of an RC
snubber for the 1st time the other day.  Thats a new one
for me. I can see a snubber  working better than a cap alone.   Commercial
rectifier assys all come with a single MOV across each diode.

Whats the actual...problem or issue??  If its noise spikes being generated,
when each diode shuts OFF, I would have thought they would not make it past the
HV filter caps.
Then there is the bypass cap at the base of the plate choke, and possibly
another bypass cap on the B+  to chassis... b4 the plate choke bypass cap.

Is this..noise, spikes etc, even measurable ?   Can you hear it on a RX ?   I
dont operate MM, nor FT-8 modes, which might just be affected.  Does it
manifest itself as ripple on the B+ ?   Or is this all  just semantics?

Just about every manufacturer of fast and ultra fast recovery diodes  says...
not to use em on  50 and 60 hz  supplies, wasted effort.....only to be used for
switching supplies.

Im rebuilding  4 x drake  L4PS  supplies..and used  7 x 6A10  diodes in each of
the 2 x legs of the FW Doubler.   No provisions  for  a .01uf cap across each
diode.  However, I did find
25-30 x  .01 uf  @  5 kv caps  in my myriad of bin boxes.   I could easily wire
one across  each leg of the doubler..and perhaps another one between  B+
output of doubler....and chassis... b4 it gets into the filter caps..and
another one on the B+ output..after HV filter caps. Then perhaps a .01 uf, 1 kv
disc ceramic between B- and  chassis.

Drake used a .001uf  bypass  disc cap, right where the B+ enters the RF
deck....and a .001uf doorknob bypass cap at base of plate choke.

Im not impressed  with the ripple, under load, on the B+.  I can see it plane
as day on the rf monitor scope.  Anything over 700 w..  and its there, like
almost 3%. Its  208 V  P-P..when
sucking 800 ma  key down cxr.

Installing  2 x  harbach boards in each L4PS B+ supply.   Bought a  100 x new
rubycom  330 uf caps... which all measure  285 uf.   8 per board.  71 uf in
total filter C.... vs  25 uf  with oem  setup.

Jim   VE7RF