[Amps] Exceptional HF Amplifier For Sale

To: Amps List <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Exceptional HF Amplifier For Sale
From: "Ken, W8EK" <kenw8ek@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 16:47:15 -0400

Exceptional HF Amplifier For Sale:

I have sold some really nice ham equipment, but this HF amplifier is
really, really, really terrific.

It is a Dentron Clipperton L.
It covers 160 thru 10 meters.
Yes, it has 10 m on it.

Looking at it, one would think that it was new, just out of the box.
One of the reasons that it looks this way is that it has a very fancy
cover, labeled "Dentron Clipperton L".  It would appear that this has
always stayed on the amp, preserving its great cosmetics.

While the cosmetics are absolutely superb, electrically it is just as
good.  It has had a variety of updates to make it work better, and to
protect it.

Electrolytic filter caps have been replaced with eight 470 uf, 450
volt caps.  This gives 3600 volts at 58 uf.  Actual high voltage is
only 2600 V, so lots of extra headroom.

“Step Start” circuit added to input AC.  This was needed due to bigger
filter caps.

Power supply diodes replaced with 3 amp (200 amp surge) diodes.

Back to back 3 amp diodes added across meter movement to protect it.

Diode added across relay coil to prevent back emf.

“Glitch Resistor” in high voltage lead – 0.82 ohm, 3 Watt, wire wound

T/R relay is 19 V DC open circuit, pulling about 225 ma when activated.

Tube Idle current is about 130 ma.

Power output is really great.  I was hoping for about 1100 watts, but
with 90 watts drive, I had 1457 Watts PEP out on 75 meters.  Wow!
This is measured with an LP-100 A wattmeter (NIST traceable, which means it usually reads 10 to 15% lower than Diawa, MFJ, etc.) into a
dummy load.  Of course power output varies depending on band.  I have
been using it on the air with about 40 watts drive and getting about 800 watts out.

Maximum power output occurs at exactly the dip in plate current,
indicating that neutralization is really great.
In over fifty years as a ham, I have never had an amplifier that
tunes as smooth as this one.

Amp is wired for 240 V AC.  I would not recommend using it on 120 V AC.

Included with the amp is the very nice cover, really detailed paper work,
including lots of additional notes, and of course the amp itself.

Get all of this for only $600.  Pick up near Ocala, FL is much
preferred.  This is not only due to the weight in shipping, but also
because of the exceptional cosmetics.

.

I also have many other accessories available such as many
different types of microphones, HTs, VHF and UHF rigs, HF
and VHF/UHF antennas, connectors, miscellaneous accessories,
etc.
Just too many to list here. Please e-mail your requests.

.

Thanks.

73,

Ken, W8EK