Re: [Amps] AL82 pi network C2 failure

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL82 pi network C2 failure
From: Victor Rosenthal <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 11:25:06 +0200
It is possible to fix this. I had a similar problem with the loading capacitor in my TL922, due me stupidly operating with a high SWR ("I'll just finish the contest and then I'll fix the antenna").

First you file off the blobs with a needle file. Then you slide some emery paper of successively fine grit between the plates to polish them as much as you can. Probably you need to remove the capacitor to do a good job as I had to do.

Those capacitors don't give you a lot of headroom. Best to keep the SWR below about 1.8:1. Sometimes you can get away with it (for a while), but as you found out, it gets you in the end.

73,
Victor, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel
CWops #5