Re: [Amps] Western Electric

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Western Electric
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 11:10:14 -0700
On 3/25/2022 9:39 AM, BILL KENNAMER wrote:
This is true. Tube amps and vinyl do sound better. Also, Tube guitar amplifiers
sound better, and a Hammond B3 sounds better than an XK-3 (but it's hundreds of
pounds heavier).

There's vinyl, and there's vinyl. For at least the last 10 years of the LP era, vinyl pressings were often junk quality, and reissues of classic jazz were copies of copies of copies, with lousy sound quality.

I had a collection of more than 4,000 LPs, but stopped bothering with them when CDs became dominant (late 80s). CD reissues of vintage material went back to original masters, with vastly improved sound quality. Over the years, I've acquired CDs to replace all of those LPs, and several years ago, sold the LP collection.

To put this in perspective, I'm a Fellow of the Audio Engineering Society, and have made many recordings of live performances of major jazz stars using first class mics (average cost $1,000) and recording gear with no signal processing. These are not "audience" recordings -- these recordings were for broadcast, or with those mics placed on the instruments. My ears are tuned to those recordings, and to what my ears heard "in the room" where the musician were playing. Commercial recordings vary widely in quality when placed against that standard.

73, Jim K9YC