Re: [Amps] What to do about 'Neutral' in HB amp?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] What to do about 'Neutral' in HB amp?
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 10:27:44 -0500
>"Neutral to chassis ground and ground, ground, ground everything together, and
>to the 240 ground coming into the power supply."

That's what ETO did in the Alpha 70/77 series amps.  It's not strictly a NEC
violation because NEC is a premise wiring and safety standard, and not a
product wiring standard.

>Use the common connection point between two 120 volt windings, wired in
>series, on the input of the HV transformer for 240 use.

Yes, another common scheme.

>"I guess I'm leaning toward a 240/120 step down transformer."

It's a lot of extra work, but I chose to run 4-wire #10 with a dedicated
neutral to the shack.  Modification to the Alpha amps is very easy and only
requires a slight wiring change on the amp's Cinch-Jones power plug to break
the neutral-chassis bond.

Paul, W9AC