Re: [Amps] Illegal amps

To: amps@contesting.com, amps-request@contesting.com, "nemozilch@gmail.com" <nemozilch@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Illegal amps
From: Paul Decker via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2024 08:53:20 -0400 (EDT)
What does building an illegal amp mean?

If I build an amp capable of 1500 Watts on the ham bands, it is legal?

NO, YES?

Legal in the USA? Maybe, Illegal in the UK, probably.

If I have a Henry 8K ultra with the 3cx3000, it can far exceed 1.5K, is it
legal?

The point of these questions is not that the amps are illegal, it is the
illegal operation of the amps at power levels above the limit of the license
holder.

There are many commercial HAM amplifiers with dual 3cx1500's or 3cx3000's, even
dual 3/4cx800's can surpass the US Ham legal limit.
There are many amps hams converted, URT-23B with dual 4cx1500's that can as
well.