[antennaware] Antenna Stacking

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [antennaware] Antenna Stacking
From: gary@noblepub.com (Gary Breed)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 09:22:51 -0500
George

First, EZNEC is available from Roy Lewallen, W7EL
for $89 -- at PO Box 6658, Beaverton, OR 97007 -- Tel:
503-646-2885 -- email: w7el@teleport.com

This program uses the NEC-2 computation engine, a well-
proven program with some well-documented limitations
(read the manual and past articles by Roy and L.B. Cebik
W4RNL, who is a regular participant in this reflector).

Regarding your proposed setup --

Tribander to 6M beam -- Perhaps four feet is the absolute
minimum spacing you should accept, more is better.  If you
need to have minimum spacing, modeling and/or signal
strength measurements at different spacings will prove to be
valuable.

2M Yagi -- This one should be modeled, as both polarizations
need to be accounted for, and the other antennas are
beginning to "look" like large surfaces. A good starting point is
1/2 wavelength (3-1/2 feet) between the ends of the vertical
elements and other antennas

8-band vertical -- Modeling says you shouldn't put verticals
too high.  The pattern is degraded by high angle lobes that
contribute little for communication (This is a good example for
one of your first modeling experiments). Put the vertical on a
pole or a single-story rooftop that gets it above nearby
metallic materials (including house wiring, fences, gutters)

Have fun!

Gary Breed, K9AY