[antennaware] Ground characteristics

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [antennaware] Ground characteristics
From: gary@noblepub.com (Gary Breed)
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 17:08:26 -0500
Jerry,

You supplied food for thought, but I'm looking for a simpler answer!

My antenna is a long way from the iron core of the earth, so that's
not an issue here. And I am only concerned with the near-field -- the
losses due to the currents in the dielectric under my antennas.

All I want to know is why my simple counterpoise seems to work better
than expected. Is the particular earth composition at my location a
contributor to this behavior? If it is, then I may elect to install a
modest (and inexpensive) ground system under my permanent antennas.

If not, I will accept my good fortune with the simpler antennas,
install a much more extensive ground system under the new ones and
anticipate even better performance on the low bands.

Gary, K9AY

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/antennaware-faq.html
Submissions:              antennaware@contesting.com