[antennaware] Johnson Matchbox or bust!!!

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [antennaware] Johnson Matchbox or bust!!!
From: willy@global2000.net (Bill Russell)
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 07:13:08 -0500
Hi all,
Does anyone know of the modification to a kilowatt matchbox allowing it to
cover 160 meters? I was told that an article appeared in QST for December,
1963 in the hints and kinks dept. that discribed this modification. I hope
to do this mod if it works. If I cant find this or if it does not work
well, I will TRY to build my own link coupled tuner to cover 160 thru 10.
My antenna is a 130 ft. dipole fed with balanced line. After reading the
article by L. B. Cebik, W4RNL on his very nice web site explaining link
tuners and trying a few of the new tuners with bad results trying to tune a
balanced antenna, I decided that its either a Johnson Kilowatt matchbox or
I have to "roll my own". I currently have the 250 watt matchbox and it
works very well but I will be using more power soon and need a bigger tuner
but I also want to operate on 160.

Thanks,

Bill Russell
KC2IFR