[Antennaware] weird question

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [Antennaware] weird question
From: i4jmy@iol.it (Maurizio Panicara)
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 01:11:04 +0200
The point is that director doesn't direct anything likewise reflectors
doesn't reflect, moreover a director doesn't live an own independent life
but is a part of the whole yagi array.
Directors and reflectors reradiate energy with certin phases and delay due
to their reactance and position in respect to the dipole.
A director opposite to a driven element instead of a reflector is not a good
idea because it's at the end a disturbing object not a director in the
strict sense..
In normal conditions the director reradiation reaches the dipole with the
proper phase and delay to positively add gain and/or directivity if behind
the dipole there is a reflector or even nothing.
The other directors in a classical yagi must be also strategically placed
and cut properly to enhance gain and directivity.
Another director/s behind a driven is not (only) producing a bidirectional
pattern (thus worsening S/N) but it's reradiation reaches te opposite
director/s with a wrong phase so producing a bad combination that damages
the whole array pattern and gain.

73,
Mauri I4JMY