[Antennaware] Balloon vertical

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [Antennaware] Balloon vertical
From: donw5djw@bellsouth.net (donald ward)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 18:32:39 -0700
Ted
  Myself and three other hams went out on a 1600ft pier in the Gulf of
Mexico. We were going to use a helium advertisment balloon (looks like a
small blemp). Our intentions were to use a long wire for 160mtr vertical,
with ground wire in the salt water. Our only problem was a 30mph gail wind,
no chance to launch the balloon. we did work a few stations with the wire
laying on the hand rail (horizontal).
  Seems to me just to work 20-10mtr you would be waisting the balloon, you
could just through a string over a tree limb, pulling up a wire. If you wait
till after dark you could go for 75mtr or 160mtr.
  You may not be as adventureus as we are, we even made an antenna from a
steel span bridge ,The Brookland Bridge.
Worked OK too.
Don  73  W5DJW

ps: Good luck and by all means HAVE FUN.