[Antennaware] 40m vertical questions

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [Antennaware] 40m vertical questions
From: "Dave N0RQ" <n0rq-1@dfwair.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 15:43:03 -0500
Greetings.  I'm getting ready to start my first attempt at a 1/4 wave vertical
-- for 40 meters.  (Maybe 80m later on.)  Perhaps someone could give a few
pointers.

I'm thinking of 1" copper pipe for the first 20' and 1/2" or 3/4" for the
remainder.  I could "guy/dacron" it at the 20' mark if it turns out to be
necessary.  Is this size copper a bad idea?   (It will have at least 4,
probably 8 or more elevated radials (over pretty good ground).)   Then, how do
I tell how long to make it?  For a typical dipole, 468 / 7.150 gives me a
length of 32' 9", but I know the diameter of the pipe will affect this -- so
how do I compute an good length?  (Good guesses are appreciated, too!)

And last questions... what would be a good way to hook the coax to the base of
the 1" pipe and radials?

Thanks & 73,
Dave N0RQ