[Antennaware] 40M Yagi Problem

To: antennaware@contesting.com, stan@aqity.org
Subject: [Antennaware] 40M Yagi Problem
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:24:00 EST
In a message dated 11/18/03 9:03:28 AM Pacific Standard Time,
antennaware-request@contesting.com writes:

> There is definitely something wrong as I have NEVER yet seen a European =
>  which is as strong on both antennas fed in phase as the upper one by =
>  itself.  The bottom one by itself is down by something like 5-10 DB on =
>  the long haul stuff (guessing, comparing the two antennas) which is =
>  okay.  Have not put up a dipole to see if it is any better than that.

Hi, Stan --

    Long time no see. How are you doing?

    My guess is that the antennas are being fed out-of-phase. Lots of
cancellation when that happens and the stack never works right. Try reverse
jumpering
the coax in the shack and see what happens.

    I don't know why you've got a double dip. Sounds like some destructive
interaction. What kind of antenna is it? What happens if the bottom antenna is
90 degrees from the top one? Are the two antennas identical?

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH --