Re:[Antennaware] Problems on a 2el Vertical Array

To: "T.Wellnitz" <T.Wellnitz@gmx.de>
Subject: Re:[Antennaware] Problems on a 2el Vertical Array
From: "i4jmy@iol.it" <i4jmy@iol.it>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:41:26 +0100
Toby,

with small antenna spacings, expecially below .25 WL, real pattern is a
combination between directly excited elements and parasitic excited elements.
In real world, antennas will not behave as pure current sources, phased as you
want and with half power on each one. They will radiate a consistent amount of
energy, parasitically, as it happens with yagis.
It?s hard to predict what happens when elements are nearly resonant. Depending
if they will look a bit inductive or capacitive, for example, the re-radiated
component will have an opposite sign.
Therefore, it's practically impossible to built a system of resonant antennas
that behaves like a model, expecially if pretending it?s symmetrical when
reversing direction.
Actually, best pattern with close and phased elements requires the verticals
are not the same lenght and phase lag is set some 33% more than spacing.
Exactly like it happens with rotable arrays, i.e. HB9CV.
Like that is relatively easy to get big F/B in real world, but's elements
reactance is there forced and defined using short or long ones, and the array
is inherently not symmetrical.
Using KB8I method you'll have some cut-and-try to do with cables lenght, still
with no insurance that reversal of antennas will give the same F/B performances
on both directions.
The MFJ 259 is basically unhelpful, except as rough estimate that each vertical
has a similar impedance. The measured values don't offer infact the right
answers for the phasing components.
You've to use a receiver, far enough from the antenna where the far field is
already built and vary the cable lenghts to maximize F/B.
I think You should better go to a lewallen method for phasing.

73,
Mauri I4JMY