[Antennaware] Summary of replies: Designing L-Networks for antenna match

To: Antennaware@contesting.com
Subject: [Antennaware] Summary of replies: Designing L-Networks for antenna matching
From: David Gould <david.gould@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:55:38 +0000
I have had a good number of replies, for which I am very grateful.
Thanks to all those who sent advice.
I will briefly summarize what I have discovered.

Nec2go www.nec2go.com is a commercial antenna modelling package which has a network design component. The demo version does not allow you to enter your own values of R and jX. it can only use the values that come out of the antenna modelling. I believe the full version does allow the entry of your own values, it gives all four solutions where appropriate.

There is also http://www.qsl.net/mmhamsoft/mmana/ This is also an antenna modelling package but is freeware.
The network design tool is hidden, you have to go to 'Options' and then 'Options and Setup' I could only get it to produce two possible solutions when in practice there are sometimes four.

There is also this link which is obviously not very well known as it has only been accessed about 70 times since 1997. But does exactly what I wanted, plus a lot more with T , PI and various other combinations.
http://bwrc.eecs.berkeley.edu/Research/RF/projects/60GHz/matching/ImpMatch.html

Finally I have been told that there is a program on the CD with the latest ARRL antenna handbook which does the calculations. I have not been able to check this out.

I hope this might be useful to other people.

73,
Dave G3UEG