[Antennaware] W3CQH's question about operating his loop on 160M

To: antennaware@contesting.com
Subject: [Antennaware] W3CQH's question about operating his loop on 160M
From: F3WT <ars.f3wt@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 17:40:14 +0100
Howard,

I operate horizontal loops of quite a few different types ( plain,
crossed, tilted,...) , although not as large as yours.
They are great! Called See L.B.Cebik (W4NRL)  if you haven't already
at :
http://www.cebik.com/fdim/atl1.html  One has it for all bands.
They radiate at low angle the higher the frequency and  are  cloud
burner if not large enough ( if perimeter below abt 2 lambda).
Nevertheless they are also surprising. At dawns or darkening in
evenings ...

Now to your question and my recommendation: take a tuner running 160M
as well and really do not open the loop but keep it closed !

  I do so  and my loop ( 100M only of wire loop but crossed with some
vertical delta portion in it I know a bit too short-  but
whatever!  ) is tuned with a MN7 on 160M and runs fine , although not
dxing strongly because of sky beaming. .. except  those surprises
during  evening or morning windows well described in John's book
( ON4UN) on " Low band DXING".

Hope I helped.
Good luck and 73's.
Pierre.