[Antennaware] Tape Antenna

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [Antennaware] Tape Antenna
From: <npalex@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 17:39:49 -0500
The only antenna that fits your description was one sold by  Collins radio back
at least 30 years ago.  It had calibrated stainless steel tapes that extended
to cover at least the 80 meter band.   The nature of this type antenna makes it
suitable only for brief and temporary applications.  The construction (flat
metal tapes) is only usable with no or very light winds as they flutter in
modest winds and metal fatique occurs in hours.  Good idea, but poor
implementation for a long term or windy areas.

You might check with the Collins Collectors group for more details.  I doubt if
Collins made it, but I am pretty sure they marketed it as part of their
portable concept for the S-line products.

Norm W4QN