Re: [Antennaware] Phased Verticals

To: antennaware@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Phased Verticals
From: Bill Cotter <n4lg@qx.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 12:49:10 -0400
Another point I will add -

If you intend to switch directions by moving the feedpoint to
either side of the 90deg phasing line, be SURE to float the shields
of the UNFED side of the phasing line. By this, I mean use a DPDT
relay to select feeding one or the other side (coax inner and
shield) of the phasing line. Do not tie all the shields together.

I had found several years ago that using a aluminum box containing
the relay with SO-239s for each antenna, feedline and the phasing
line (5-connectors) I could never seem to get the FB over about
10-12dB. Using a plastic box and isolating the phasing and antenna
lines (DPDT switching which side of the phasing line was fed)
improved the FB to over 20dB.

Apparently, the shield is as important to generating the phase
delay as the center conductor, and tying the shields together
disturbs the delay line function.

Another small (3dB or so) contributor to a better F/B I found on my
40M 4SQR was to add 9 ferrite beads over the RG-11 coax at the base
of each vertical, as a RF isolator. Evidently, the unbalanced
currents in the feedlines were effecting the pattern or picking up
common mode signals.

73 bill n4lg