Re: [Antennaware] 4 Sq, verses 3 El endfire

To: Andrew Ikin <andy@wellbrook.uk.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] 4 Sq, verses 3 El endfire
From: Terry Conboy <n6ry@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:38:44 -0700
Andy,
You can use the same delay lines and phase angles with the 4 Square,
but you have to make the length of the diagonal equal to the 80m
spacing between elements 1 and 3 in the linear endfire array.  (So
the spacing between adjacent elements is 1.414 * 40m.)  This gives
-30 dB back lobes, but the azimuth pattern is quite different, with
two fairly large low-angle sidelobes (-12 dB at +/- 114 degrees at
0.53 and 1.06 MHz).  Even though this looks like a poorer pattern
than the 3 element inline array, the 4 square has a narrower main
lobe and an RDF that is 1 dB higher, because of deep nulls at +/- 78
degrees that aren't present with the 3 element array.

The back lobes of both the 3 element and the 4 square grow with
increasing frequency until they are about -22 dB at 2.65 MHz.  The 3
element main lobe gets quite broad in azimuth (157 degrees) and is
down about 0.5 dB on boresight.  With the 4 square, the main lobe is
just 73 degrees wide, however those pesky sidelobes are only -5
dB.  The RDF of the 4 square is about 2 dB higher at 2.65 MHz.

Life is all about compromise, eh?

73, Terry N6RY