Re: [Antennaware] New K9AY Observations

To: "RFD" <fdavis@nfld.net>, <antennaware@contesting.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] New K9AY Observations
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 08:58:24 -0500
Comments interspersed...

> I notice that directivity of the loops on the BC band from below
> 1600khz is dramatic to say the least.

That's a good start. Things are not a total mess!

> On 160M however directivity of the loops is not dramatic at all.
> Many signals are the same strength on all loops.....
> So I am concluding that the tower and the Inv L are screwing up the
> loops on 160M.? ...
> Also I am not yet using a common mode choke on the RG6 feedline of
> the loops.

> 73 Frank VO1HP

Coupling to "something" is the strongest possibility. It can be the radials
as well as the radiator of the Inv-L. I would recommend a choke at the loop
connection. Be sure the control wires are choked, too. These wires may be
the culprit, or perhaps an accomplice that aids coupling to the radials. The
Array Solutions loop box has instructions for separating the antenna and
feedline grounds -- this may help as well.

73, Gary
K9AY