Re: [Antennaware] Ideas?

To: <WarrenWolff@aol.com>, <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Ideas?
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 12:16:26 -0600
Warren,

You might check out my article in the ARRL Antenna Compendium V, and perhaps
get a copy of  US Patent 5,489,914. I don't have any reference material on
hand in electronic form.

Then if passive coupled resonators look interesting, I can supply additional
practical information. This design is commonly (and inaccurately) called
'open sleeve.' Basically, it looks like paralleled dipoles, but feedline is
only connected to the lowest frequency element; the higher bands are
'floating' and coupled by their proximity, with impedance set by the
spacing.

The main difference with paralleled or fan dipoles/verticals is that each
band is more easily adjusted for resonance and impedance match. Sometime in
the past, a KL7 and a VE3 wrote up articles on multiband verticals using
this technique, but I've lost track of them.

This type of antenna models well in NEC and MININEC, but you need to be
careful to align pulses on adjacent conductors.

73, Gary
K9AY