Re: [Antennaware] MFJ-259B question

To: Antennaware@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] MFJ-259B question
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@doctorgary.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 01:17:13 -0500
> > Is there something I am doing incorrectly?
>
> If you are measuring cable loss, there must NOT be anything connected to the
> far end of the cable. If there is any element connected anywhere on the
> cable that absorbs power (like a dummy load or an antenna), the results will
> be way off. The more the attached element absorbs power (i.e., the better
> its impedance match), the greater the error. Hence your observation:
>
> > When attached to an antenna,
> > the farther from resonance, the lower the claimed dB.
>
> The analyzer can't tell the difference between power loss in the cable or
> power radiating out from the antenna. It would have to be connected to both
> ends simultaneously to do that.
>
> Andy

Thank you Andy & Terry for the apparent answer. That really helps a
lot. If I read that in the instructions, it sure didn't stick. I
would have thought that when I talked to the tech there that he would
have known that issue.

I appreciate everyone that replied on & off list for their time &
thoughts.

73,

Gary
KA1J