Re: [Antennaware] vertical with metal roof as groundplane

To: "George Warnock" <george_warnock@hotmail.com>, <antennaware@contesting.com>, "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] vertical with metal roof as groundplane
From: "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 12:43:52 -0500
Hi again, George.

With respect to the theory part...to finish up on my earlier post.

The battle with making a vertical work well is fighting off loss.  The
classic multi-band maxi-loss vertical consists of  an iron pipe driven into
the ground, multi-band vertical mounted to it, effectively sharing lossy
dirt and the coax shield on the ground as a counterpoise. It is memorable
with broad 50 ohm matches, quality of SWR an utter inverse of on-the-air
results.

There are three major loss categories in the above, all of which are
countered in various degrees by the traditional dense buried radial field,
e.g. 60 buried 1/4 wave radials.

1) series IR loss in the current sink (counterpoise) fed by the shield.
Raised radials avoid some of this, with serious caveats.

2) Induced media loss in the area immediately below the feedpoint. Consider
this an open microwave oven for the dirt within ~ 1/8 wavelength.

3) "First bounce" loss.  Ground basically does not reflect vertically
polarized energy. So energy radiated away from the vertical below the
horizon is lost, absent salt water or a conductive ground screen.

Regarding 1)  In your above the roof version, the radials are ONLY there as
the current sink to complete the feedline connection.  You have two easy
choices here one radial or two opposed, more or less per band. More below.

Regarding 2)  This is what the roof does for you, and it's significant.

Regarding 3)  The roof helps some, but because of the practical nature of
the problem, more below horizon energy is lost than above the dense 1/4 wave
radial field.  This, alas, is the vertical antenna quandary

One can see how the maxi-loss vertical takes it hard on all three counts.

Regarding one or two radials, in my location in North Carolina, and doing
most serious DX contest operations elsewhere at multi-op stations, I can
"lean" antenna design to the NW, because the SE is "vacant" for USA
contests.

If your usage is hemispheric like mine, then pull a single radial roughly
toward the center of the desired hemisphere, and you will reduce loss 3) in
the desired hemisphere by creating an incident wave that is not 100 percent
vertical, therefore not 100% absorbed below the horizon.  I would suspect
the wave to be 45-60 degrees instead of 90.  This method does NOT work as
well absent the ground screen (tin roof) below because this presents an
unscreened high current knee close to the ground, seriously increasing loss
2).

If your need is non-hemispheric, then pull two radials to opposite
quadrants.  The horizontal "lean" will be cancelled out. In either case you
can prune the radials to assist with the feed impedance.  Some radials may
serve on more than one band.  At my DC location I had radials for 40, 20,
10, using the 40 radials for 15.

Regarding Pete's method below, this would seem to be radials with "vague"
end points.  Without a few more specifics on how it was done, and some
measurements, it would be hard to speculate whether it was lossy or not.  If
that is still around, Pete, I would be very interested in a HF spectrum
graph on it's Z treated as if the two were a dipole, leaving out the
vertical. Would need to measure that right on the roof.

73,  Guy.