Re: [Antennaware] Melted wire

To: <Gary@doctorgary.net>, <stephen@kangas.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Melted wire
From: "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 21:16:37 -0400
Speaking to a practical detail, arcing to what?  25' from the insulated end
is a relatively low current/high voltage spot on a 160m L in the clear.  If
it is touching a tree, metal, etc, the apparent electrical "far end" moves,
and depending on serendipity, can turn into a high current point. This in
turn can migrate the copper into whatever it is touching.  The problem with
modeling will be to model what is being touched.

Would have to be a lot of arcing to melt #12 solid copper through, unless it
was also a stress point as in pulled across a branch, etc.  What wire?

73, Guy.
K2AV