Re: [Antennaware] Antenna amplifier noise

To: Andy Ikin <andrew.ikin@btopenworld.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Antenna amplifier noise
From: DAVID CUTHBERT <telegrapher9@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 10:06:52 -0600
The noise figure of an amplifier tells us the input referred noise in a 1 Hz
noise bandwidth. A 0 dB Noise Figure (NF) tells us the amp input noise is
-174 dBm.

Convert the noise power of the amp output and the input noise of the RX into
linear units (watts), add the powers, and convert back to decibels. Now
refer it to the amp input.

To start, you need to specify the noise bandwidth. Given your example, and
neglecting the 30% modulation as we don't need this, you say the RX S/N
ratio is 10 dB given a signal of -101 dBm. The RX input noise is -111 dBm.
For now let's say the RX noise bandwidth is 6 kHz.

The amp input referred noise, given the 3 dB NF, has a noise power of -133
dB in 6 kHz. Here is how this is figured:

-174 dBm + 3 dB + 10LOG(6000) = -133 dBm. Remember, this is input referred.
The noise at the 20 dB gain amp output is -133 dBm + 20 dB = -113 dBm = 5.0
fW.

The RX input noise is -111 dB = 7.94 fW.

5.0 fW + 7.94 fW = 12.94 fW = -109 dBm. This is the new noise referred to
the RX input. But we want to know the noise referred to the amp input. It is
-109 dBm - 20 dB = -129 dBm.

So, the RX noise of -111 dBm is now -129 dBm with the amp. This is a
decrease in noise of 18 dB. What is the new NF?
-129 dBm - 10LOG(6000) - (-174 dBm) = 7 dB.

What is the NF of the receiver alone? -111 dBm - 10LOG(6000) = -149 dBm
gives us the input referred noise. NF = -149 dBm - (-174 dBm) = 25 dB.

   Dave WX7G