Re: [Antennaware] Dual output K9AY

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>, "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Dual output K9AY
From: "Andy Ikin" <andrew.ikin@btopenworld.com>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 23:49:58 +0100
Pete,

Thank you for looking into the modelling feature.

The reason for trying to model the Dual output was to determine the phase
relationship verses freq. required to increase the rear null by subtracting
some of the front lobe from the rear. I did some work on this in May 2001,
but ran into problems with the phasing. Misek uses this technique on his
Steerable Wave antenna in his Beverage Handbook. However his Phasing system
is not wide-band.

The test set-up was to use 2 x 9:1z xmfr at each ends of the loop at the
junction of the ground wire. Both xmfr outputs connect to  Phasing box. One
channel is a variable 0-165ns delayline (terminated 50R). The other channel
has the amplitude control. The phasing box provides a constant 50 Ohm input
for any phase or amplitude setting. Also the phase delay is constant for
variations in Freq.

First I wired the K9AY xmfrs so that the Phasing box would combine in-phase
plus the 0-165ns delayline. Result no increase in gain.

Next I re-wired K9AY xmfrs so that the Phasing box would combine anti-phase
plus the 0-165ns delayline. The gain dropped by approx. 6dB, however, the
rear null could be simply adjusted to upto -50dB with just tweaking the
Phase and amplitude control. Across the MW band the average delay was 65ns,
so most of the null adjustment was with the amplitude balance. The max null
was far higher than using remote variable termination.  The results were
much better than I had in 2001 with the improvement in the phasing system.

Btw, this technique doesn't work with RC phasers e.g. MFJ and Dxeng except
over a narrow bandwidth i.e. the knob fiddling becomes tedious with changes
with freq.

Getting back to the model, my thoughts are to simulate the Dual output K9AY
is to model 2 K9AY close together and take the source from each antenna.

73

Andrew