Re: [Antennaware] Height for horizontal loops

To: antennaware@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Height for horizontal loops
From: Ross Primrose - N4RP <n4rp@aiko.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 23:25:30 +0000
John Geiger wrote:
> How high does a horizontal loop (the look skywire) need to be for decent
> performance?  A quick google search revealed that people were running them at
> 25 or 30 feet with good results (in their opinion).  I know that high is
> better, but how high does it need to be to show real improvement over a
> dipole?

I run a 160m horizontal loop (543') at about 40'. I also run exclusively
QRP. I've exceeded 1000Mile/watt on 80m, 40m, 20m, and 15m with the
loop, and worked all continents on SSB & Digital on 5W.

All this year, with the current band conditions.

73, Ross N4RP

--
FCC Section 97.313(a) “At all times, an amateur station must use the
minimum transmitter power necessary to carry out the desired