Re: [Antennaware] YO Problem

To: Eric Hilding <b38@hilding.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] YO Problem
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 19:54:51 -0500
Perhaps one of the reasons is that the best gain and pattern is not
necessarily at a 50 ohm zero reactance point on the DE, in some cases
"miles" away from 50 J0.

I found this consistently with a lot of AO Pro runs on wire yagi's and
quads.  Since none of the people I was designing for wanted to deal with a
non-50-ohm-resistive feedpoint, I locked in that restriction in the AO parms
and let the other lengths (and inferior gain) fall where they may.

I don't know why people think 50 ohms is some kind of natural law, or why
SWR is king of all radio considerations, but that's sure the way they think.
Problem occurs when nature and physics don't play along with our obsessions.

As to trying to get in touch with K6STI, I don't think he is talking to hams
any more.  His attitude was really soured by software piracy.

73, Guy.